K1 Visa

what is a k-1?

A K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa issued to the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. It allows the fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. and requires that s/he marry the U.S. petitioner within 90 days of the entry. This visa has been featured on the television network TLC’s show “90 Day Fiancé.” Many of my clients have exposure to this visa through that T.V. show. Once the couple marries, the foreign national may adjust status to become a permanent resident. S/he will not have to leave and return to the home country for processing.


There are other family members who may be able to immigrate with the K-1 holder. If the K-1 holder is the parent of an unmarried child under age 21, then that child may also immigrate with their parent. These children, known as “derivative beneficiaries,” are issued a K-2 visa. Derivative beneficiaries of a K-1 petition (i.e. the unmarried child under age 21) may either immigrate as the same time as their parent or may follow to join the parent within 1 year after the issuance of their parent’s K-1 visa.

Please contact me if you are interested in pursuing a K-1 visa for your fiancé(e).

Call Now Button
Share This
Scroll to Top